Board of Directors
Swain County Tourism Development Authority
The Swain County Board of Commissioners created a Swain County Tourism Development Authority as described in Senate Bill 336/S.L. 2007-23 for the purpose of using the funds so collected (occupancy tax) to promote travel and tourism within Swain County.
All members shall be appointed by the Swain County Commissioners. Three members shall have initial terms of one year, three for two year terms and two for three year terms. The final member shall be a commissioner, appointed by the board of commissioners. After said terms, all members shall have terms for a period of three years except the commission seat, which will be a one year term. Terms shall end on June 30ᵗʰ in the year the term expires.
The Tourism Development Authority Board membership shall be in compliance with Senate Bill 336/ S.L. 2007-23 and shall include:
- Three members that who collect occupancy tax
- Five members that are actively engaged in travel and tourism industry
- One member that is on the board of commissioners.
The Swain County Finance Officer will serve as the finance officer of the Swain Tourism Development Authority and be an Ex-Officio member. No appointees to the authority shall serve for more than two consecutive terms. The County Commissioners shall designate one member of the TDA board as chair.
2023-2024 TDA Board of Directors
|Sleep Inn, Baymont Inn
|County Finance Office (Ex-Oficio)
|Fontana Lake and Park View Cabins
|Swain County Board of Commissioners
|Fly Fishing the Smokies
|Aloft in the Smokies
|Carolina Insurance Group of WNC (member at large)
|Patti Jo Taylor
|Nantahala Tiny Homes and RV Park
The TDA Executive Director is Mary Anne Shea, and she can be reached at email@example.com.
The Swain TDA Board shall hold a regular session on the 2nd Wednesday of each month beginning at 12:00 p.m. (except that if a regular meeting is a legal holiday, the meeting shall be held on the following Wednesday) at the Swain County Administration Building, 50 Main Street, Suite 300, Bryson City, NC 28713 at the time mentioned above. All meetings are open to the public. A copy of the agenda and/or meeting minutes shall be available to the public by contacting the TDA Executive Director.
Board Meeting Agendas
The TDA Executive Director, shall have administrative oversight in preparing the agenda for the regular meetings. A request to have an item of business placed on the agenda for the regular agenda must be received in writing using this agenda request form and emailed to the TDA Executive Director no later than Wednesday at 12 noon one week prior to the meeting date.
Public Comment will be received during each meeting. Public comment is a period of time when individuals may speak to the TDA Board about any matter.
The Clerk will provide a sign in sheet for those individuals who desire to speak during the public comment period. All speakers must be signed up no later than 5 minutes before the designated meeting time and must list their name, address, the organization they represent (if any) and the subject matter they wish to address. The time limit for any individual or representative addressing the Board shall be three minutes unless a majority of the Board agrees to additional time. However, the amount of time allotted to each person desiring to make comments may be reduced if the TDA Board determines that the number of persons desiring to speak is excessive and in no event shall the time limit for any individual or representative addressing the Board exceed three minutes unless a majority of the Board agrees to additional time. Each speaker during the public comment period shall be limited to one opportunity to speak at each regular meeting of the Board.
- If an individual's allotted time expires prior to that individual asking all his or her questions, that person may leave those questions along with his/her name, address and phone number with the TDA Executive Director who will determine who needs to respond to the question(s) and call or write that person prior to the next Board meeting.
- TDA Board Members are not expected to comment on matters brought to the Board during this time, but to delay action or comment until staff have had an opportunity to research the subject matter and to report necessary and relevant information to all Board members.
- Any individual speaking during public comment shall address the entire Board and any polling of the board is inappropriate for public comment.
- If an individual has documentation relevant to their public comment item that he or she will be distributing to the board then he or she will need to present that documentation to the TDA Director no later than 10:00 am on the Friday before the regular meeting date.
- The Board will reserve 30 minutes during the regular session for comment on agenda items and general public comment. Additional time may be given with majority vote of the Board.