Planning Tips and Ideas

Plan the perfect dream destination wedding in Bryson City.

Plan the perfect dream destination wedding in Bryson City.

Wedding Planning Tips & Ideas

A Great Place to Tie the Knot

Planning a destination wedding can be both exciting and stressful. But this is your big day and your big chance to do something different. From the friendly experts ready to help with all your needs, to the venues, and to the outdoor adventures sure to please wedding guests, Bryson City and the Great Smoky Mountains is a great place to tie the knot.


Find the perfect wedding vendors for your destination wedding in Bryson City, Swain…


There's no better place to say I do than the romantic Great Smoky Mountains

Getting a Marriage License in Bryson City, Swain County

Marriage Licenses are issued during business hours (8:30 AM-4:30 PM) Monday through Friday at the Swain County Register of Deeds Office at 101 Mitchell Street, Bryson City. Arrive by 4:00 PM. For more info, call 828-488-9273, ext. 2205

  • A premarital physical is not required
  • Both applicants must present identification
  • The license is valid in any county in North Carolina and is returned to the county in which the license was issued.  Failure to do so subjects the person performing the ceremony to a $200 fine.
  • Both parties must present identification in the form of a drivers license or other government issued phone ID
  • If under 21, bring a Certified Birth Certificate
  • Both applicants must provide their Social Security numbers and verification of the number.  Applicants may present a Social Security card, W-2 form, tax form or any government issued paper with complete Social Security Numbers.
  • If either party has been divorced in the last 90 days, we need a copy of the divorce decree.  If over 90 days, date of divorce is needed.  If death, copy of death certificate is required.
  • Licenses are $60.00 cash
  • Please call the Register of Deeds office at (828) 488-9273 ext. 2205 with any other questions.

On Line Marriage Application:  go to

Getting Married in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Wedding Permits:

Weddings require a Special Use Permit from the park and must follow specific guidelines. Completed applications for Special Use Permits for weddings and other special events, along with a non-refundable $50 application fee, must be received by the park no less than 14 days prior to the start of the event. Please download the guidelines and application files below.

View a map of approved wedding locations.

Watch a short video on planning your wedding in Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Wedding Application Documents:

Online Payment

The Appalachian Clubhouse and Spence Cabin, rustic, historic buildings located in the heart of the park, are available for day-use rental for receptions and special events.

North Carolina Marriage Laws

  1. There is no waiting period to be married in North Carolina. Once the license is issued by the Register of Deeds Office it is good for only 60 days.
  2. Persons need not be residents of North Carolina to marry in this state.
  3. The person performing the marriage ceremony must return both completed license to the Register of Deeds Office in the county where the license was originally issued or be subject to a $200 fine. The 2 (two) witnesses must include their addresses on both the original and copy of the license. A license issued in one County may be used in any county in North Carolina.
  4. The Register of Deeds shall require proof of age from all persons making application for a marriage license. A person between 18 and 21 years of age is required to present a certified birth certificate. Persons 21 or older may present any one of the following forms of ID: Drivers license, military ID, passport, state ID or a certified birth certificate.
  5. Persons 16 or 17 years of age must submit a certified copy of their birth certificate and at least one parent, or legal guardian with full or joint custody, who have proper identification, and who will give their written consent (on the marriage applications) and meet the above requirements.
  6. All other persons under the age of 16 years must call the Register of Deeds Office for information regarding a marriage license. Persons under the age 14 may not marry regardless of circumstances.
  7. A North Carolina Marriage may be performed or solemnized by the following only:
    • An Ordained Minister
    • A Minister Authorized by his church
    • A District Court Magistrate
    • By the Society of Friends, according to customs of the Society
    • By a local Spiritual Assembly of the Baha is in accordance to the usage of their religious community.
    • By any person authorized by any religious denomination or of any recognized Indian Nation or Tribe.
  8. A Marriage must be witnessed by 2 (two) people who are present at the marriage. The Witnesses must place their names and addresses on the original and the copy of this license in legible handwriting and in ink.
  9. Once the marriage has been performed and both copies of the License returned to the Register of Deeds Office, a Certificate of Marriage may be obtained upon request. Each certified certificate is currently $10.
  10. Same sex marriages were legalized in North Carolina in 2014.
  11. Common Law & Bigamous Marriages are void in North Carolina.
  12. Marriages of person’s nearer kin than first cousins are unlawful in North Carolina.